What's the Benefit?
- Consistent analysis of a building’s potential energy efficiency and actual energy performance.
- Comparison of a building’s performance with similar buildings in similar climates.
- Informed decisions for managing a building’s energy use.
- Recommendations for reducing energy use while screening for indoor environmental quality.
- Potential for ongoing improvement in energy efficiency.
- Illustrated benefit of making building equipment and system investments.
- Building label, which demonstrates corporate responsibility to employees, tenants, investors, and the public.
- Ability to track and show the effectiveness of your improvements.
Through the bEQ process, qualified practitioners can compare the bEQ selected building’s performance with similar building types. And because bEQ offers a consistent methodology, buildings within an owner’s real estate portfolio can be compared against each other and they can be re-evaluated over time to see if the improvements are getting the expected energy savings and performance results. These comparisons enable owners to invest financial resources in their buildings in the ways that will provide the greatest return.
"Green to Grey"
bEQ also benefits owners by enabling them to combat the “green to grey building syndrome.” bEQ is specifically designed to highlight suggested energy savings measures, which can be used to help identify key factors causing the gap between a building’s design potential and its actual performance in operation. Many bEQ qualified practitioners are trained to implement the measures cited in bEQ Workbooks needed to reverse this trend and ensure investment value.
The depth of the analyses upon which the ratings are based make bEQ unique. The guidance provided in the two rating Workbooks enables owners to make informed decisions about investments in equipment upgrades, re-commissioning and maintenance.
- bEQ brochure (.pdf)—provides a general overview of the program for qualified practitioners, building owners, and anyone else wishing to learn more about bEQ.
- Practitioner brochure (.pdf)—
provides information to qualified practitioners on the best ways to market bEQ to facility owners and managers.
- BEAP brochure (.pdf)—provides information on becoming an ASHRAE-certified Building Energy Assessment Professional, the only certification qualified to conduct the In Operation assessment as a bEQ Certified Provider
- BEMP brochure (.pdf)—provides information on becoming an ASHRAE-certified Building Energy Modeling Professional, the only certification qualified to conduct the As Designed evaluation as a bEQ Certified Provider
- bEQ presentation (.pdf)—a complete presentation with speaker’s notes that provides a basic overview of the program (last updated July 2014).
- bEQ Case Study—This article, published in the May 2014 issue of ASHRAE Journal, demonstrates the potential benefits of bEQ using four fire stations in Sarasota County, Florida.
- Logo Guidelines—guidelines for use of bEQ logo
What Does the Building Owner Receive?
The value of bEQ is that it provides the practitioner with a methodology to be followed and the owner with information on their building that is easily understood and applied. When a bEQ qualified practitioner satisfactorily completes the submittal process and a rating is awarded, the owner will receive from the practitioner:
- Completed bEQ Workbook (either As Designed Workbooks or In Operation Workbook, or both depending upon what the owner has commissioned), including the complete building analyses.
- bEQ Certificate, for presenting key building performance factors and compliance with disclosure laws.
- bEQ Dashboard, illustrating the level of performance for As Designed and/or In Operation performance
- Graphic files for bEQ plaques to publicly display the building rating, and show As Designed and In Operation ratings side-by-side for buildings with both ratings.
The ASHRAE Level 1 Energy Audit contained in bEQ’s In Operation Workbook delivers analysis unavailable in other building labeling programs. These methodology and calculation procedures have been determined by building energy use experts to yield the most reliable and actionable results.
Recognition and Promotion
bEQ provides building owners with relevant information to communicate building usage to the public. Participation in the program guarantees technical information that can be used by building management staff.
Promoting Your bEQ Rating