What's the Benefit?
The bEQ process:
- Consistent analysis of a building’s potential energy efficiency and actual energy performance.
- Comparison of a building’s performance with similar buildings in similar
- Informed decisions for managing a building’s energy use.
- Recommendations for reducing energy use while screening for indoor
- Potential for continuous improvement in energy efficiency.
- Illustrated benefit of making building equipment and system investments.
- Demonstrated corporate responsibility to employees, tenants, investors,
and the public.
- Ability to track and show the effectiveness of your improvements.
This 'What is bEQ' brochure provides a general overview of the program. It's a great resource for both certified professionals, clients, and anyone else wishing to learn more about bEQ.
Full-color bEQ brochure (.pdf)
Interested in becoming certified? These brochures provide information on becoming an ASHRAE-certified Building Energy Assessment Professional (In Operation) and Building Energy Modeling Professional (As Designed)
Full-color BEAP brochure (.pdf)
Full-color BEMP brochure (.pdf)
Need to give a presentation on bEQ? Download a complete presentation with speaker’s notes that provides a basic overview of the program. Check back regularly as the presentation is updated with new information as needed.
bEQ Presentation (.pdf) - last updated October 10, 2013
While powerful and technically sound, bEQ provides tools that are easily understood:
- The bEQ Workbook of the complete building analysis.
- The bEQ Certificate presenting key building performance factors for operations staff.
- The bEQ Dashboard illustrating the level of In Operation and / or As Designed performance.
- The bEQ Label showing the building rating for public display.
The ASHRAE Level 1 Energy Audit included as part of the In Operation rating assessment delivers analysis unavailable in other building labeling programs. Because the audit is conducted by a certified assessor, the building owner receives professional guidance to improve energy performance. Together the bEQ In Operation Workbook and bEQ Certificate detail where and how energy is consumed and present recommendations to increase building value and lower operating costs. This guidance enables the owner to make informed decisions about investments in equipment upgrades, re-commissioning and maintenance. Repeating the assessment after upgrades have been completed provides a well-defined and consistent process to evaluate the effectiveness of those modifications. A building’s In Operation rating may be updated and submitted at no cost if completed within 2 years of the original submission.
Recognition and Promotion
The As Designed rating process delivers an analysis of a building’s as-built conditions using a standardized model that neutralizes operating conditions and allows the energy efficiency of different buildings to be compared without the effects of the current occupancy and operation, Because the model is developed by a certified modeler, the building owner receives professional guidance on how the modeling results apply to their building. Together the As Designed Workbook and bEQ Certificate provide valuable information for both building owners and potential tenants or buyers on the energy efficiency of the building itself independent of current or future tenants occupancy or operating conditions.
bEQ is the rating system that takes your building to the next level by providing building owners with relevant information to communicate building usage to the public. Through your participation in the program, you receive technical information that explains the rating score and all measurements taken that can be used by your building management staff.
Recognition and Promotion